Prior to the advent of the Internet, on-the-job training generally involved video lectures and slideshow presentations, which were often outdated. Both employees and employers were frustrated and left undereducated, decreasing efficiency and the financial bottom-line.
With the availability of online training courses for businesses, the time and expense of training has depreciated. Not only does an online training course provide incredible flexibility and diversity, it can also be easily updated to maintain its relevancy. Naturally, this is more in line with the business goals of a company. Online colleges and traditional schools are now offering continuing education courses online to businesses and their staff—making online training courses literally at your fingertips.
Online Training Course Overview
An online training course is like any other online education opportunity— it allows you to learn anywhere and at any time, as long as you have a properly configured computer. Education online can be network-based, Intranet-based or Internet-based. It can include text, video, audio, animation, and virtual environments and is typically a self-placed, hands-on way of learning.
Online training courses can provide a very rich learning experience that can often meet or surpass the training that goes on in a crowded classroom. Not only is the online environment both relevant and interactive, it is designed to be convenient, immediate, and even fun so that employees are kept interested in their particular educational program.
Advantages of Online Training Courses
Online training courses offer a number of advantages, a few of which, we have listed below:
- Convenience– There is no travel involved and no room or auditorium necessary. You can learn at your desk in the office or using a laptop on the couch at home. Online learning is accessible, interactive, and cost cutting all at once.
- Proven effectiveness– In the last ten years, eLearning has evolved into the most effective and successful on-the-job training available. Employees can refresh their knowledge at anytime, work at their own pace, and hone their skills easily and quickly. Employees that need to take their time with new material have the freedom to do so, while fast learners can get back to work more quickly.
- Simple and easy to use– You only need an Internet browser or a login to your company Intranet to access your online training course, and most offices already have all the equipment necessary.
- Self-directed interaction– Instead of a droning instructor or a badly designed PowerPoint presentation, eLearning provides an interactive learning environment that allows students to work at his or her own pace.
- Affordability– An online training course can be targeted with laser-like precision, allowing for less time and energy spent learning something you do not need or re-learning something you already know. Additionally, eliminating the necessity for travel can also cut-down on expenses.
Online Continuing Education Options
If you work in a field that requires continuing education credits to maintain your certification, fear not—online learning presents a convenient solution. Online education and training is also available to professionals who are interested in taking the next step in their career by earning a graduate degree. Now you can earn your credits in the comfort of your own home just by logging on to the Internet.
Regardless or your educational goals, online training courses have changed the face of education, both in the office and beyond. From a certificate or diploma all the way to a PhD, take some time to explore all of your online learning options.